Skinny is not healthy or beautiful
There is an epidemic raging amongst young women these days, an obsession to be thin. What happened to the time when feminine beauty was synonymous with being curvaceous. When will these young women realize that excessive dieting will not only make you look unattractive but also make them vulnerable to multiple health issues. Following is a list of some health problems associated with excessive starving in the name of dieting when a person’s BMI plummets.
Effects of Excessive Dieting
- Osteoporosis – Being very thin puts women at higher risk of developing less dense bones in the later stage. This condition is called Osteoporosis and they can cause the bones to fracture easily (brittle bones).
- Anemia – Since the intake of essential minerals and vitamins has decreased, the underweight woman becomes severely anemic and also shows-up diseases related to deficiencies.
- Infertility – Being severely underweight can disrupt hormone production which can have bearing on a woman’s fertility.
- Weaker Immune System – Starving to remain thin depraves the body of essential micro and macro nutrients. This can lead to weakening of body’s immune system.
- Dementia – A severely underweight woman runs higher risk of developing dementia at a later stage in life.
- Early onset of Alzheimer’s disease – It has been proved by various researches that if a person is a carrier of Alzheimer’s causing gene, being underweight can cause early onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Decreased Strength – An underweight person can become severely weak and show decreased strength eventually as they age.
The above points are a stark warning to all those women who are starving to make themselves thin. Excessive dieting can also cause irreparable damage to the body and can also age them faster. So if a woman wants to look good, she should eat healthy and balanced food. Apart from eating healthy, she should also take steps to be active and exercise regularly. It is simple, effective and common sense.